Suffolk’s therapeutic fostering team provides therapeutic support to foster carers who are caring for children and young people presenting with challenging behaviours resulting from neglect and trauma.
We offer our foster carers regular and ongoing therapeutic consultation and supervision.
The team will provide fast, appropriate support to prevent placements breaking down. This gives carers confidence, support and skills to care for their foster children.
A key aspect of therapeutic fostering is to focus on building an understanding of the impact the young person’s past experiences have had on the young person’s view of the world, their behaviours and relationships.
This focus encourages the carer to become more attuned to the child in their care, helping them to discover which approaches, techniques and outlooks will help their child succeed.
The team has their own clinical psychologist and qualified clinicians. This includes an art therapist, who can provide support to fostered children, their carers and the foster carer’s own children.
- Theraplay Informed Practice (TIP): this can include 4 to 6 sessions in your own home to enhance healthy attachment between child and carer, and build the child/young person’s self-esteem, trust in others, as well as having fun together!
- Keeping Foster and Kinship Carers Supported (KEEP) programmes
KEEP standard programme: runs for 16 weeks
KEEP safe programme: runs for 20 weeks
KEEP booster: for carers who have already completed the programme. A positive parenting programme aimed at all foster carers including family and friends carers and those with Special Guardianship. Meeting weekly in small groups we explore techniques and strategies for increasing positive behaviour, and, very importantly, taking care of their own stress levels in this demanding role.
- One off clinical consultations or short term pieces of therapeutic work for foster carers who feel they are struggling to understand or support their child
- Art therapy
- Skills coaching
- Therapeutic care supervision
- Therapeutic support groups
- Regular training days to help carers develop their skills in therapeutic care
“We received intensive support and a comprehensive support plan from the team for around a year… I cannot recommend therapeutic fostering enough, I would recommend it for experienced or new carers alike.”
– Anne, Therapeutic Foster Carer
Arrange to speak to a foster carer or adoptive parent
Call us: 01473 264800
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also leave feedback about our website.
Become a foster carer or adopter
Alternatively you can complete our contact form.
Read the Suffolk County Council privacy notice.