Suffolk’s Therapeautic Fostering Team provides therapeutic support for foster carers who are caring for children and young people who present complex behaviours resulting from the neglect and trauma they have experienced.
We offer foster carers therapeutic consultations and supervision.
The team provide appropriate support to minimise the risk of placements breaking down. This support gives carers confidence and skills in caring for the children they foster.
A key aspect of therapeutic fostering is to focus on building an understanding of the impact the young person’s past experiences have had on the young person’s view of the world on their behaviours and on their relationships.
The focus encourages the carers to become more attuned to the child in their care, helping them to identify which approaches and techniques may help their child.
The team has their own clinical psychologist, systemic practitioners and group facilitators working with the carers and the foster carer’s own children as well as skills coaches working with children.
- Theraplay Informed Practice (TIP): This can include 4 to 6 sessions in your own home to enhance healthy attachment between child and carer, and build the child/young person’s self-esteem, trust in others, as well as having fun together!
The Fostering Toolkit
A positive parenting programme aimed at all foster carers including family and friends’ carers and those with Special Guardianship. Meeting weekly in small, supportive groups we explore techniques and strategies for increasing positive behaviour, and, very importantly, taking care of your own stress levels in this demanding role.
This is a positive and flexible approach to training, offering a 12-week core programme followed by a menu of optional 4-week bitesize programmes. This will allow you to build up and personalise your toolkit at a pace that works for you.
- Consultations or short-term pieces of therapeutic work: For foster carers who feel that they are struggling to understand or support their child. Consultations are held with the carers and their Consultant Social Worker and Supervising Social Worker if possible alongside a member from the Therapeutic Team to look at challenges being experienced in placement and exploring strategies to support the carer and child.
- Skills coaching: The team have skills coaches able to work on a 1:1 basis with children to develop confidence and independent skills that will support them in their future development.
- Therapeutic support groups: Suffolk’s Therapeutic Team runs 18-week support groups for foster carers supporting their understanding of self and the impact of developmental trauma relating to themselves and children in the placement.
- Regular training days: This training may include Developmental Trauma, Mindfulness, DMM, What a Muddle, and Thinkuknow Online Safety.
“We received intensive support and a comprehensive support plan from the team for around a year… I cannot recommend therapeutic fostering enough, I would recommend it for experienced or new carers alike.”
– Anne, Therapeutic Foster Carer
Arrange to speak to a foster carer or adoptive parent
Call us: 01473 264800
Email us: email@example.com
You can also leave feedback about our website.
Become a foster carer or adopter
Read the Suffolk County Council privacy notice.